Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Healing Shield

Amidst the horror, the abuse, the absolute evil, and between that, the violent volleys of various wars (versus "not war"), a friend sent me this elegant piece of (partially translated) Cherokee verse.


O'siyo Great Spirit, I am Mother.
I was made by You so that the image of Your love
could be brought into existence.
May I always carry with me
the sacredness of this honor.
Creator, I am Daughter.
I am the learner of the Traditions.
May I carry them forward so that
the Elders and Ancestors will be
remembered for all time.
Maker-of-all-things, I am Sister.
Through me, may my brothers be shown
the manner in which I am to be respected.
May I join with my sisters in strength and power as a Healing Shield
so that they will no longer bear the stain of abuse.
Niskam, I am Committed Partner:
One who shares her spirit,
But is wise to remember never to give it away,
Lest it be lost,
And the two become less than one.
I am Woman,
Hear me "Great Spirit"
Da na da

Niskam = the act of unconditional giving or loving
O'siyo = welcome
Da na da = peace be with you, or go in peace


And lest any forget, The Trail of Tears . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment